Broomdasher Wake Up The Sun At "The Y"
Broomdasher come out of hibernation on Tuesday 20 March to “Wake Up The Sun” on the Spring Equinox at Central YMCA in Great Russell Street, London at 7.30pm.
The six-strong acapella group, who sing traditional English folk songs, will be joined by fiddle and accordion duo Brown Boots and the YMCA Community Choir for a celebratory evening of songs to listen to and join in with.
It is the first folk evening to be held in the newly refurbished performance space at the YMCA, which hosts a wide range of physical and creative activities, clubs and classes to encourage people to be healthy in mind, body and spirit.
Broomdasher’s powerful harmonies and sensitive arrangements earned them a whirlwind of top line concerts and high-profile supporters from the folk world during their first year together in 2017.
They enjoyed an astonishing twelve months, being immediately re-booked by every folk club and festival where they performed. They also impressed many of the country's top folk artistes, including John Tams and Coope, Boyes and Simpson, who invited them to be the support act on major tours dates and then gifted songs from their own repertoire for the group to arrange in the Broomdasher style.
They are always looking for imaginative places to perform and the YMCA is a hub of the local community with more than 6,000 members and is another opportunity to spread the joy of singing to a wider audience.
You can find out more on the website www.broomdasher.com
Here's what people say about Broomdasher:
- "Exquisite arrangements, superb voices, outstanding harmonies - and they're edgy too! Get to see them," Lester Simpson
- “A great balance of voices,". Barry Coope
- “You were simply superb. We want you back next year”. South Downs Folk Festival
- “Brilliantly evocative”. John Tams on hearing “How High The Price” given the Broomdasher treatment
- “A wonderful sound for a Festival Sunday afternoon”. Moseley Folk Festival
- "As the season's opener, that went VERY well," The Ram Folk Club
Tickets are £5 and are available from www.broomdasher.com/gigs or on the door .